Palazzo Pratonieri overlooks Via Toschi, near Piazza San Prospero, in Reggio Emilia.
Listen to the audio
The palace dates to the early 16th century. It takes its name from the Pratonieri, a family of rich wool merchants who acquired noble title in the 17th century. In 1880, the last descendant of the family, Alessandro Vezzani Pratonieri, sold the property to the Cassa di Risparmio bank of Reggio Emilia. The building’s external appearance retains the features of the restructuring plan designed by the engineer Pio Casoli in 1980-82. In particular, we can admire the windows of the main floor with hanging arches and human head decorations, and the symbol of the bee, which is a reference to the Cassa di Risparmio bank. The terracotta ornaments are crafted by the local manufacturers Antonio Beltrami.