The Baptistery of San Giovanni is located in Piazza Prampolini, next to the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, and is annexed to the Bishop’s Palace.
Listen to the audio
The Baptistery of San Giovanni is one of the city’s most important historic buildings. It dates to 1040-49 but has undergone many interventions over the years. Most notably, in the 15th century, the Bishop of Reggio Emilia Bonfrancesco Arlotti had its façade adapted in the Renaissance manner and the Bishop’s Palace extended to incorporate the baptistery, previously a freestanding building, in the main architectural complex.